Thursday, January 5, 2012

An Antique Media Center and an Evolving Great Room


Almost all of my furniture is a mix of antiques, reproductions, and various pieces that have been found and re-habbed.  Not only do I love the uniqueness this provides for my home as well as it's cost-effectiveness, but there are always those items for the modern household where it is a bit more difficult to achieve. For example, it is a challenge finding an antique queen bed.  They just didn't have beds that big back then...  Media centers are another example.  You wouldn't find anyone sitting around fifty years ago watching big flat-screen TV's with DVR's, Blu-Rays, Wii consoles, or satelitte boxes attached to them.  This poses a challenge for all of us out there who desire a unique, stylish way to house our televisions and all their trappings without paying an arm and a leg. 


I was no exception when I started contemplating how to put together our tv/great room when we bought our house a few months back...
painted tv wall in progress...
Since the TV hookups were on an adjacent wall to the fireplace, it meant setting up a room with "dual focal points"....if there is such a thing. 

Rather than the traditional bonus room tucked upstairs, this room is off of the kitchen and readily visible in the center of the home.  This means I needed some kind of TV wall unit to hide all of the cords, etc.  I started shopping around before closing on the house and even though I loved those awesome antique reproductions turned into media centers from companies like Pottery Barn, etc, I was on a serious budget!  Time to think outside the box...
When my husband and I were moving our antique carved sideboard into the house, it dawned on me to move it into the great room instead of the dining room where we've had it for the last several years.  We previously had the TV on another antique sideboard, but with tall legs, I could always see the cords and it bugged me!  The viewing height was just right and when I found the antique brackets, I knew I could pull off some kind of media unit.

A few painted and distressed inexpensive boards were added and now I have wall unit with presence in this big room, plus a place to store some of my favorite things...



I initially envisioned my large collection of antique clocks here, but I ended up just putting a few out.  I suspect I'll be playing around with these shelves quite a bit...changing, re-arranging constantly like I always do!
And do you know what the best part of the project was?  It only came in around $100!


Linking up to:

26 comments:

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Wow!! I love what you did here. This gorgeous unit gives you so much storage and so many options for accessorizing. Those antique brackets are perfect.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

WOW now that's one gorgeous media console! LOVE the shelves above it too!!

Cheryl said...

OH my goodness... looks fabulous! Your a wonderful decorator!!!!

Unknown said...

I love this console and I love how you've used shelves to create the whole look. I'm a bit of a clock fanatic so I have to comment on how awesome your collection is!

Tammy said...

Kristen,
WOW!!! I love it. You sure do have the knack of putting the right things together to come up with an amazing look. Have to say - love those brackets...now where did you get those beauties?

dee dee said...

It's beautiful! I love your collection of clocks, they add to your room! Looks great!
dee dee

Alison Agnew said...

what a lovely home you have

i adore all your bits and pieces
like the clocks collection
and tarnished trophy

thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

alison

Unknown said...

This is wonderful! I love the rustic and homey look it gives your huge TV! I need to convince my hubby to let me do this too! BTW, the collection of clocks is adorable.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I truly LOVE this! We are fixing to buy a flatscreen and I have been looking for a buffet or dresser to place it on. Yours is perfect and I LOVE the shelves!

Beautful!!

I am your newest follower and I will be back :)

Lou Cinda

Hollie Joy In The Morning said...

Oh girl, I LOVE everything about that whole room, but your entertainment center blew me away, and I already knew you were creative and talented!! It. rocks. seriously. =) You've got STYLE!!!
Thanks for the inspiration~
Hollie

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

What a creative and fabulous idea! Your living room is beautiful too.
Thank you for linking to the Open House party and I am off to browse your archives.
xo,
Sherry

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

LOVE those shelves and ALL the stuff on them.
♥Linsey

Jessica said...

Love this idea! Looks beautiful! Found you via Alison @ Stuff and Nonsense FB post!

Honey at 2805 said...

This looks super! What a great looking unit! Thank you for linking this lovely post to Potpourri Friday!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your media cabinet and your vignettes are just gorgeous. Fabulous familyroom. Love it all. Hugs, Marty

deb mills said...

very clever and creative and so great looking!

The Decorating Diaries said...

That looks awesome. I love your clock collection.

Janet

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Now you have created a very unique media cabinet, love the shelf brackets really add a lot of charm. So very creative, and love how you group things together. Your living room is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your treasures at Sunday's Best!

Cassie Bustamante said...

wow- that is gorgeous! the chippy finish is stunning with all those details, and hello those shelves frame out the tv beautifully!

Anonymous said...

Very impressive! Funny thing is, I've been trying to create my own version of an entertainment center and was considering adding shelves above the t.v. Now I have a beautiful source of inspiration to pull from. Thanks for sharing.

Sharon

Barb said...

Clever and beautiful. I love it!

Barb

The Charm of Home said...

So awesome! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

This is increadible! I love the console it's gorgeous and the shelves above really pull it all together! Wonderful job! Thanks for sharing and linking up.
XO
Kristin

Teresa said...

What an incredibly clever idea! It looks amazing!

Pamela said...

This is just beyond amazing! I LOVE It to pieces and it make she want to get rid of our big ol armoire! So glad I stumbled upon your blog this evening. I am your newest follower.

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Great looking media center. Love the way you used something old and charming. We are looking to do something different with our TV and you have given me a great idea. I'm your newest follower! Linda

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...